Sunday, 26th February 2017 - 17:49:57


Cooked up some super yummy pork spare ribs with some honey soy sauce. Had it with some "crunchy" salad.

Wednesday, 8th February 2017 - 21:03:15


Prototype 12V to 24V level shifter.

Wednesday, 8th February 2017 - 11:43:08


Fabricated some brackets to hold the PIR sensors.

Tuesday, 31st January 2017 - 07:38:29


Ebay score. A set of drifts, punches and chisels. Also a small block plane.

Thursday, 26th January 2017 - 20:23:56

First go at charcoal

While I was a guest I had the opportunity to try out a charcoal BBQ for the first time. After tasting it I can see why people like it. There is a distinct flavor even without adding any extra wood for flavoured smoke. If I di end up getting one, I'll definitely invest in a chimney and fire lighters because it's a pain in the A$$ to light charcoal without them.

Thursday, 19th January 2017 - 21:19:10

Crunch Skin-On Salmon with Crunch Salad

Crunchy Skin-On Salmon with Crunchy Salad. One of my favorites. We add some fried noodles to the salad with a lime and chilli dressing. Delicious.

Thursday, 12th January 2017 - 13:07:05


The rack is now levelled and has a shelf in the bottom for storing excess gear. I created some timber blocks this time round and used the levelling feet rather than relying on the castors. The concrete slab is not very flat at all.

Saturday, 7th January 2017 - 19:25:59


The drawer cart thing has now received some decorative finger jointed bumpers and a coat of clear poly. It looks great. I ended up modifying my screw advance box joint jig to work on the table saw. Click the image to see more photos.

Friday, 6th January 2017 - 14:01:08


Today I unpacked my electronics gear and got it set up on my updated bench.

Wednesday, 4th January 2017 - 17:22:47


I have built some shoes to retrofit my electronics lab bench with castors. They are a cantilever design that should require no modification to the existing table feet. They lock into the existing feet. When the castor is swivelled to the rear, the shoe is pushed up and kept in place by the end of the shoe. When the castor is swivelled to the front, the vee part that locks into the existing desk feet take the force and prevent it twisting. Left to right is kept under control by having a tight fit on the square tube of the desk.

Monday, 2nd January 2017 - 16:56:51


I started work on a sled / stand thing with casters to hold two sets of drawers which will store electronics bits for the lab. This will make them mobile and allow cleaning underneath.

Wednesday, 14th December 2016 - 11:38:13


I built a set of giant Jenga for the work christmas party. Lots of sanding involved! They were a great hit.

Sunday, 11th December 2016 - 14:21:19


The shelves I built about two years ago received a coat of clear poly to make them look the part for their new home inside the house. They came up really nice and it also gave me the opportunity to redo some of the edge banding which was loose and allowing the shelf to sag (they are only mdf).

Saturday, 26th November 2016 - 18:16:46

Building Kitchen Counter at New Place

Today we built a kitchen counter for the new place. The bench space in the kitchen is a bit small so this will help a bunch.

Friday, 25th November 2016 - 21:46:51


Lost or misplaced the the power supply for your HTPC? No worries, just fire it up on a lab power supply =)

Sunday, 16th October 2016 - 11:18:55

Blue Berry Pancakes with Bacon

Blueberry Pancakes with Bacon! =)

Sunday, 9th October 2016 - 14:02:08


I decided to unwrap these old BP Solar panels and see what they could do. I built a basic SLA charging circuit that would allow an SLA battery to be charged and to supply power to an ESP8266. This will be for use outdoors as a weather station "or something". I haven't decided yet. Mostly I just wanted to see if the solar panels that I've had for over a decade still worked.

Sunday, 18th September 2016 - 17:31:49

Grilled Chicken Breast

Grilled Chicken Breast ready to go on burgers. Sometimes the most simple recipies are the most popular with the kids. Just lemon juice, olive oil, minced garlic and some parsley. Easy.

Wednesday, 24th August 2016 - 01:24:12


What's a Loxone and why does the stupid thing have such a low input impedance? The reason is this chip. HVS882. It's an industrial input serializer chip. The input impedance is only 10k. This chip operates in a "window" mode for detecting "on" vs "off". With the recommended 4.7k pullup on a 24V supply, this leaves things very close to the 16V threshold that the chip requires for an "on" state. So I've started using 3.9k pullups which gives a little more room for movement on longer cable runs where a few volts can potentially be lost bringing it under the required 16V.

Sunday, 7th August 2016 - 16:29:50


I built an aircon mount today. It is a cantilevered design that holds the AC in and is secure, but does not screw into the house or into the window frames at all. The house is rented, so there are rules preventing us from fixing it permanently to the structure.